The Follow My Lead Youth Music & Life Foundation® is a non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to cultivating youth and young adults as generational leaders via modern music culture and the performing arts.
To positively impact the lives of youth by using modern music culture to reinforce fundamental education and intrapersonal development.
Our vision is that we can provide every teenager who has a passion for the music industry, with the proper education, opportunities and leadership to tap into their creative souls and utilize their innate abilities and talents to change the world.
- Music and performing arts is an engine for positive social change worldwide.
- Every teenager, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity or religion deserves opportunities to reach their full potential.
- We deliver the highest quality of service to all those who use our resources.
- We build partnerships that help us fulfill our mission.
- We recognize diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing our mission.
- We preserve our credibility by remaining independent and objective.
- We build talent, and excellence within communities and overall social sector.
- We embrace non-conventional approaches, innovation and entrepreneurial minds.
- We exercise fiscal responsibility as a means of achieving our mission.
How We Deliver
We engage via three major areas of operation: (1) Youth Leadership, Development and Mentoring, (2) Youth Entrepreneurial Event Creation & Management, and (3) our flagship effort, the CounterPoint Music & Life Workshop that guides the passion of teenagers who have a non-conventional interest in music via an enriching curriculum that includes rigorous classroom instruction, exploratory and developmental learning, mentoring and exposure to industry opportunities.
But it’s not just about music and entertainment. More importantly, our students ultimately learn how to apply the fundamental knowledge, reasoning, critical thinking and sound judgement making ability required of someone in the entertainment industry, to all other aspects of their lives.
We simply draw from their passion for music, to ignite their passion for life.
- Classroom instruction with tailored learning objectives
- Exploratory outing experience via The Voyage™
- Talent development sessions with artists/musicians and other industry professionals
- Performing opportunities at city events
- On-the-job training in a real-time environment
- Peer-to-peer and adult mentoring via the Follow My Lead™ Ambassadors program
What We Believe
Although urban music is an extremely positive art form, most teenagers unfortunately have been encouraged (particularly the media), to emulate the more negative aspects of the culture. Therefore, they tend to pattern themselves after socially unacceptable behavior, particularly seen on television (i.e. Flavor of Love show, MTV/BET music videos).
Teenagers become interested in the notion and message of fast wealth and unproductive activities that music videos and lyrics advocate. Parents do not understand the phenomena, teenagers rebel, a disconnect is formed and a pattern begins to emerge. So begins the cycle…
We develop promising teenagers from all demographics through a positive curriculum, professional staff and inspiring environment. The mission of the Follow My Lead Youth Music & Life Foundation is to transform the mindset; to counter the effect of negative influences (media, cultural conditions, peer groups) and point their understanding in a positive direction through guidance, leadership, education and the application of learning.
Why such a non-conventional approach?
Because times have changed – and now we must change, too. The current arena of young adults face very challenging times far different than generations of the past. Society of today is like none other, propelled by various factors such as the profound impact of technology and social networks, mixing of cultures and global competitiveness.
Considering the CounterPoint Music and Life Workshop for your school, church or organization? Email us or call today.